Personal Capture allows staff and students to create recordings from a PC, laptop or mobile device or to upload any existing digital media and share it with University users or the wider public. There are three ways to create digital content using Personal Capture:
- Use the mediasite desktop recorder to create screencasts/presentations
- Record content (audio and video) quickly and easily on mobile devices and upload it to mediasite
- Record any type of multimedia content using different software/hardware and upload it manually to mediasite
Once recorded, digital content is reviewed, edited and published to various channels using the multimedia management platform, mediasite. Content can be published to students within Minerva and/or via external facing sites such as VideoLeeds. Content can also be shared privately to individuals or to external users.
The recording on Creating Digital Content with Personal Capture is an example of a flipped learning activity delivered to participants prior to attending a Digital Dates workshop. It briefly explores the concept of Personal Capture. Using Personal Capture to Flip Learning is another example of how the mediasite desktop recorder can be used to create content.
Content can be viewed multiple times 24/7 by your students and other audiences offering flexible, mobile learning.
Recordings could include:
- an introduction to a module
- an instructional design video illustrating a process or "how-to-guide"
- a summary of a lecture or seminar
- a clarification of complex subjects
- a response to a news item from the perspective of your research
- feedback to students
- answers to student questions
An example of providing feedback to students using Desktop Capture is provided by Antonio Martinez-Arboleda, Lecturer in the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies.
For more ideas see the record something section of this site.
The mediasite desktop recorder is available for all staff and students to create digital content easily and quickly. Users can download the software on their devices at home. The software needs to be registered by the user.
- Download and install the desktop recorder on your work PC
- Download and install the desktop recorder on your personal PC or laptop
Once installed and registered the tool is easy to use:
- Double click on the mediasite desktop recorder and select record
- Choose from four options (screencast + audio, screencast + video, slideshow + audio, slideshow + video) depending on your context
- Review and edit content
- Publish content to individuals, students, University members or the general public
Digital content (MP3 podcasts or video) created with smart devices such as phones, tablets and iPads can also be easily and quickly recorded and directly uploaded to mediasite. Users must access mediasite from their PCs/laptops to edit, review and publish content.
See the the Copyright and Legal section for details of the legal position when making a "personal capture".
Throughout 2018 there are a series of workshops on Using Personal Capture at your Desktop: Record, Review, Edit and Publish. These are practical workshops focussing on the use of the Mediasite Desktop Recorder to make presentations and screencasts for learners to access via Minerva or other channels.
A guide on Creating Digital Content using Personal Capture for students can be downloaded from the IT Website.
Book online by visiting the OD&PL website.